Our tips to ring in the holiday season with a successful proposal
Christmas and New Year is often a time when couples look to move their relationship on to the next level. If you’re contemplating taking this exciting ‘next step’ this holiday season, but are unsure as to how to give this special moment a real wow factor then look no further than Bruce Russell’s proposal for the best ways – and places – to pop the question.
- Always strive for originality – nobody likes a cliché and this is a moment that cries out for being truly personal and a reflection of you as a couple. Put some real thought into how you’d like to do this – will you go for something highly creative and exciting that’s never been done before or stick to the traditional ‘down on one knee’ approach. There’s no right or wrong here, it’s all about choosing the right setting, location and timing and knowing what will best appeal to your beloved
- I always find that the most perfect proposals include an element of surprise – try to pop the question when least expected. It may be that the trip or setting triggers a few bells in their head but try to pick a moment when they can be caught off guard. Remember – this is a story that they will be telling over-and-over again!
- Don’t lose the love – clearly nerves will set in and there is no small amount of planning involved but try to relax and enjoy the moment, after all, it’s the most romantically-charged declaration you will ever make!
- Try to exceed expectations, which isn’t to say you need to be looking to do things on a ludicrously extravagant scale. Take time to plan something that will really sweep your partner off their feet
When it comes to destinations, then the world really is your oyster. If you think Christmas is all about ski chalets and snow-capped mountains, then think again – from safari sunsets to secret London locations, the possibilities are endless. Here we have cherry picked three very different, but inspiring, locations:
- Wild Romance – hark back to the era of adventure and romance with an Out of Africa trip to Kenya. There is a wealth of options available here, such as the exclusive Elephant Pepper Camp, nestled at the heart of the Maasai Mara. Not only does the camp have its own splendid honeymoon tent, but also boasts ‘Treetops’, a private platform overlooking the nearby waterhole, teeming with wildlife. Serenaded by the sounds of nature, watch the sun set over the African bush and let the romance get the better of you.
- Lights Out – pop the question beneath the most stunning of starry skies with a trip to Iceland to see the Northern Lights. Plunged into total darkness for much of the winter, there is no more romantic setting to ask for a hand in marriage. Try the Hotel Ranga or rent a secluded luxury lodge for a truly romantic setting and you’ll see that the Aurora Borealis won’t be the only thing lighting up their face!
- Keep it Cool in the Capital – creating the perfect proposal needn’t involve jetting off to exotic locations, there are plenty of places close to home; it’s all about creating the right backdrop. London is a treasure trove of hidden gems whether you fancy something al fresco like a quiet corner of Primrose Hill or Hampstead Heath, or look to gain unique access to somewhere really special. Did you know, for example, that you can get behind the clock face of Big Ben – nestled high in the capital’s skyline? With jaw-dropping views you can create a setting so romantic that it will take no time at all for your partner to answer with the most definitive YES.